Point-and-shoot cameras are the ones that are almost pocket sized, compact cameras best for those who want to capture better than mobile cameras but don’t want to go with bulky DSLRs and is the best selling camera type. Point-and-shoot cameras are the ones which are fully automatic irrespective of the shape and size whereas compact are not actually fully automatic but is pocket sized and easy to carry around. Most of the times, both the terms are used side by side as they have become so common.
Best Point and Shoot Cameras of 2017
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 is the greatest example of a camera that has improved over its predecessor and now it’s actually hard to recognized that whether it is a predecessor of Lumix series or not. Lumix DMC-LX100’s rugged, uneven body is perfect for strong grip that that also comes with a thumb rest on the front. Classy matte black aluminum body has a weight around 0.87 pounds without lithium batteries that is almost 40 grams. 3 inches fixed LCD display with 4K video recording with MP4 format at 25/24 fps allows you to extract a high resolution 8 mp images. Connectivity shows the interest of manufacturer while making the product and versatile options for connectivity surely means that the product is made while considering users’ need. Lumix DMC-LX100 has come with HDMI and one USB 2.0 port with optical image stabilization.
5 used from $481.94
- Legendary LUMIX LX Series with manual controls -- Designed to Inspire Creativity
- Superior light capture with large, multi-aspect micro four thirds sensor
- 24-75mm Leica DC lens (F1.7-2.8) for a desirable Bokeh defocus effect
- Clear and stable framing thanks to eye-level EVF (2,764k-dot)
- Full hybrid photo experience with 30p 4K Ultra HD video and 4K photo mode
12.8 mp with micro four thirds sensor and a fast aperture of f1.7-2.8 and an effective focal range of 24-75mm produces vibrant images. Optical view finder is an aesthetic feature that provides stable and uninterrupted framings with the information displayed on the LCD screen with clear shots and auto focus that starts focusing the subject when you held the compact camera up to eye level.
- The best I find about the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 is its feature of capturing 8 mp images from 4K video recording. Meaning most of the times you can’t record and shoot images simultaneously so here it would come handy and allows you have both.
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100 doesn’t come with a built in flash but I think for many professional photographers this feature is the most useless feature they could have I their cameras so Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX100’s users must be thankful to the company for eliminating this feature as it causes much trouble.
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
RX10 III is among one of the high-end premium compact cameras. No doubt that compact camera market is declining but somehow Sony is successfully working on best and cheap point-and-shoot cameras. 4K video recording and high speed AF makes RX10 III stand out in the crowd. RX10 III has the ability to record super slow motion videos at up to forty times slower than standard rate 3’’ 1.23M-dot tilting screen that tilts up around 90 degrees.
39 used from $499.99
- 20.9 MP 1"-type Exmor R CMOS sensor
- 24-70mm equivalent F/1.8-2.8 lens
- Continuous shooting up to 10 FPS
- Pop-up electronic OLED viewfinder with 1,440,000 dots
- ISO 160-12800, expandable ISO 100, 125, and 25,600
- 3.0 inch tiltable TFT LCD with 1,229,000 dots
Compact cameras generally uses standard 24-600mm lens that features wide aperture of F2.4-F4.0 which means the picture is perfect for low light shooting. RX10 III Bionz processor works in collaboration with Exmor CMOS which helps in reducing noise during image processing and the frame rate of 960 frames in 2 seconds is surprising for those looking for perfect point-and-shoot camera. Sony RX10 III high-end premium compact camera has built in NFC and Wi-Fi technology.
- Sony RX10 III is a versatile camera with 20mp sensors. Sony RX10 III is a professional point and shoot camera that is delivering three times greater speed than its predecessors.
- Sony has very few lenses options meaning that Sony lenses are simply re-branded from the manufacturer.
Ricoh GR II
Ricoh GR II best point and shoot cameras has a rugged body made up of magnesium alloy that feels so solid and its rubberized texture allows users to grip it safely while shooting. Sturdy and slim pocket sized body that in fact fits into a palm of average sized human along with smartly placed controls has made it user friendly and easy to carry and weighs around 215 grams without batteries that exactly weighs 8.75 grams or memory card inserted. Ricoh GR II’s standard 3 inches fixed LCD screen captures images in raw, JPG and JPEG format with a high resolution of 1080p full HD video shooting at 30 frames per second. Ricoh GR II is equipped with Wi-Fi for wireless connection and NFC (Near Field Communication) for easy and swift pairing with mobile devices and is the best point-and-shoot ultra portable camera.
6 used from $500.00
- Refer the user manual below for troubleshooting
- The GR II comes equipped with Wi-Fi functions for wireless connection with mobile devices such as smartphones and tablet computers. It is also compatible with NFC (Near Field Communication) functions for easy pairing with mobile devices
- The advanced GR ENGINE V imaging engine offers high-sensitivity shooting with minimal noise and the GR II's anti-aliasing filter-less design produces supremely high resolution, color-rich images.
16 mp with a wide aperture of f2.8 along with a strong and breath-taking CMOS sensor makes Ricoh GR II to capture images with warmness and richness by capturing every single pixel with much accuracy. Auto focus is always working in the background to focus the subject in the center. Lithium ion battery provides straight 4.5 hours of uninterrupted fun.
- The best thing about the Ricoh GR II compact camera is its excellent Wi-Fi support that allows you to remotely access your images and is best for travel photographers. Ricoh GR II is stuffed with image stabilization feature that magically stabilizes your shots and videos though it was lacking in the predecessors.
- Some may the price tag not according to their budget but again if you are not price conscious and want you moments to be captured with beautiful effects then Ricoh GR II is purely made for you.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 has made its point-and-shoot cameras more worthy since it has introduced 4K Ultra HD technology along with exclusive 4K video and 4K post focus photo. 18mp resolution camera and 4K Ultra sharp videos can be captured at super fast speed. 4K ultra HD movie mode is enhancing video quality as it further clarifies the video by combining the darkest and the brightest shots to give you more and more natural look.
5 used from $278.02
- LUMIX 30X Travel Zoom Camera with Eye Viewfinder
- Enhanced low-light sensitivity for improved sharpness even without a flash
- Built-in eye viewfinder eliminates outdoor glare on sunny days
Autofocus helps in making shots more vibrant and vivid. Along with these, here comes the most awaited and advanced feature from which compact cameras are usually deprived off that is it provides Eye-level Electronic Viewfinder (EVF) and touch-enabled LCD. Image stabilization is something very important in almost every type of camera these days which makes them best in the market and no one can imagine a pocket camera without image stabilization. Image stabilization is what differ Smartphone from point-and-shoots considerably.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50’s best point and shoot cameras sleek metallic body is less than a pound and its rugged and sturdy surface provides you to hold the camera easily. Panasonic increases its effectiveness by making it more durable, easy to use and easy to carry (almost pocket sized).
- Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 has made a breakthrough progress by introducing thrilling features like best 4K HD recordings and Ultra-Sharp pictures, HDR mode and Optical Image Stabilization and that has surely surprised its users.
- Panasonic has not made any improvement on the sensors used and it is almost same as used in its predecessor. But still it gives you vibrant and crispy images as the company’s aim is to makes sure to keep its lenses up-to-date so that you won’t miss a beautiful moment.
Olympus Tough TG-4
Olympus Tough TG-4 has a very strong and muscular looks that comes with sturdy edges. Olympus’ TG series has been storming the industry since many years by releasing its unique smart point and shoot cameras that are best for users who want an everyday life beautiful shots without spending much on bulky or expensive DSLR cameras. You may find Olympus TG-4 more interesting in the whole list as it is ‘secured’. And by secured I mean that the company has always been very much conscious about the users’ need and it seems like Olympus has listened to hearts as it has introduced Olympus TG-4 which is water proof up to 15 meters without any protective casing, freeze proof up to 10 degree Celsius and if you accidentally drop it, it is shock proof up to 2.1 meters and crush proof too against 100kg. Besides it is also dust proof. Olympus TG-4 has 3 inches fixed articulated LCD that allows 1080p full HD video shooting and raw shooting in motion JPEG format with a total weight of 247 grams including batteries. Olympus TG-4 has come up with an extra storage in the form of memory card slot you that can never run out of storage along with versatile connectivity options like built in GPS and USB 2.0 port.
- 4X wide-angle optical zoom with fast f2.0 high speed lens
- Waterproof to depths of 50 feet, Freeze proof to 14 degrees F, Shockproof to 7 feet, Crushproof to 220 lb.
- RAW capture, Live Composite, Underwater modes with Underwater HDR
- Wi-Fi / GPS / e. Compass
- 1080P HD video
Olympus TG-4 best point and shoot cameras uses 18mp BSI-CMOS image sensor that is also featured in Sony and Canon cameras. CMOS sensors allow you with more dynamic range and provide noise reduction. Olympus TG-4’s bright and wide aperture of F2.0 and automatic focusing on subject provides you with a crystal clear image so that you won’t miss any detail. Image stabilization provides you with perfect snaps which are not blurry.
- Olympus TG-4 is best for intermediate level photographers that demands one of the best point-and-shoot cameras stuffed with advanced technologies with an affordable price tag and those with a reason to exist besides Smartphone.
- Olympus TG-4 could have come with some more interesting video filters and quality but the one provided are not very bad at all.
Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II
When you are a professional shooter or even an amateur and you want something really exciting to play around with then Canon G7 X Mark II provides you a vivid experience and introduces you from a broad features that they implemented in their point and shoot camera to make it according to the market needs. Canon G7 X Mark II is among the best compact cameras and a mind blowing improvement over its predecessor and among one of the best point and shoot cameras in 2016 so far since it is loaded from eye catching features that makes it the most attractive compact camera these days.
28 used from $500.00
- 1.0-inch, 20.1 Megapixel* CMOS sensor with Canon's new DIGIC 7 Image Processor helps deliver exceptional image quality even in low light.
- Features a bright f/1.8 (W) - f/2.8 (T), 4.2x (24-100mm), 9-blade iris diaphragm andBattery IS-equipped lens.
- Capture impressively high resolution images with high-speed continuous shooting up to 8 fps in both RAW mode / JPEG mode.
- Multi-angle capacitive 3.0" touch panel LCD with a screen resolution of 1.04 million dots and tilt option of 180 Degree up and 45 Degree down.
Wide aperture lens, greater zooming experience that helps in capturing the finest details, tilting touch screen like that of its rival Sony RX10 III and quick AF technology produces freaky results that surprises all the audience. Processor upgrade has brought the camera best image capturing experience and a high frame rate of 5.6 frames per second. Optical Image Stabilizer corrects camera shakes quickly instead of producing shaky and blurry images. Dual SD card slots and high capacity battery makes it stand out in the market as rarely some point and shoot cameras have such a nice, long lasting and enduring features.
- Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II is an exceptional improvement over the original and JPEG processed much clearer and brighter than raw images. Wi-Fi with NFC has enabled the camera to catch Wi-Fi signals too.
- Users are a bit disappointing as it doesn’t support 4K format but still a best entry level point and shoot camera that has released in 2016.
Canon PowerShot SX530
27 used from $169.00
- Powerful 50x Optical Zoom (24-1200mm)
- 16.0 Megapixel High-Sensitivity CMOS sensor combined with the Canon DIGIC 4+ Image Processor
- Built-in Wi-Fi allows wireless transferring of images and video to compatible mobile devices
- Capture stunning 1080p Full HD video with a dedicated movie button
- Large 3.0-inch LCD with a screen resolution of 461,000 dots allows easy viewing even from a wide angle
Canon PowerShot SX530 HS has released in the market for the photographers that were in search of premium point-and-shoot cameras. Beautiful rugged and sturdy black body has a texture that it allows you to handle camera with strong grip and gives smooth feeling. Item weighed 0.97 pounds without batteries and comes with a 3 inches fixed LCD screen and 50x optical zooming technology. SX530 is stuffed with Wi-Fi and dual USB ports that is one USB 2.0 port and one USB 3.0 port.
16 mp sensor combined with Digic 4+ processor with a wide aperture of F3.4 – F6.5 and 1080p full HD video in JPEG format.
- The best part is 50x optical zooming and built in Wi-Fi and NFC.
- Some customers find lack of EVF a bit of a let-down.
Canon PowerShot Elph 170
In the rising market, finding a best point and shoot camera is really hard to find as people are tending more towards DSLR etc but still if you are looking for an affordable camera, you are at the right place. Canon PowerShot Elph 170 is very much affordable for those with tight budget allowing them to celebrate the moments together with their loved ones. Elph 170 is very slim, small and lightest compact camera having 2.3×3.9×0.9 inches HWD and as light as 0.3 pounds. You can easily slide the camera into your pant pocket or shirt pocket without any strain or difficulty.
24 used from $75.00
- 12x Optical Zoom (25-300mm)
- 20.0 Megapixel sensor combined with the DIGIC 4+ Image Processor
- Shoot 720p HD video with a dedicated movie button
- Smart AUTO intelligently selects the proper settings for the camera based on predefined shooting situations
- ECO Mode helps reduce power consumption for longer battery life
720p HD screen with 12x zooming meaning the targeted subject will appear more prominent and provides you to capture tiny parts of the moments with high resolution and clearer image. 20mp CCD image sensor adjusts white balance, when works in collaboration with DIGIC 4+ image processor provides fastest image processing experience that made this point and shoot camera far more efficient than its predecessors.
- Best thing about Elph 170 is that the camera is very inexpensive and is made for those with tight budget. Only few cameras are there that provides best shooting experience with extremely low budget. Elph 170 is one of them that is also so small that it fulfills the need of almost every point and shoot lover with its feather light weight of about 0.3 pounds.
- Well, Elph 170 is not Wi-Fi enabled which is a bit of a let-down for some but I think this is best the company could provide in this exceptional price.
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100
23 used from $719.57
- World's first1 20.1 MP 1" Exmor RS stacked back illuminated CMOS, High resolution 4K movie recording with direct pixel readout and no pixel binning, Super slow-motion movie3 HFR (High frame rate) up to 960 fps (40x)
- Super-speed Anti-Distortion Shutter at max. 1/32000 sec. up to 16fps, Bright F1.8- F2.8 ZEISS Vario-Sonar T* lens (24-70mm), Fast Intelligent AF thanks to the new Exmor RS CMOS sensor
- Retractable XGA OLED Tru-Finer viewfinder and Sharp 3" multi-angle LCD, Simple connectivity to smartphones via Wi-Fi and NFC w/ camera apps, Dual record of 16.8MP photos while shooting movie w/ auto settings
Sony RX100 weighs about 213grams with batteries and has a 3 inches fixed LCD ultra clear screen with 1080p video recording ability using MP4 formats. Sony RX100 is stuffed with built in flash, extra storage via memory card and HDMI port along with one USB 2.0 port. 20.9 mp Exmor CMOS sensor combines with focal range of 28-100mm and a fast aperture of f1.8-f4.9.
- The best part about Sony DSC-RX100 is its fast lens and extra sharp LCD which is still not present in its successors.
- Connectivity is not very good. Sony RX100 has no built in Wi-Fi, NFC and EVF so it limits its users to home where they can’t remotely access the images or connect the camera to wireless connections.
- 12MP 2/3" X-Trans CMOS II Sensor with EXR Processor II
- Fujinon 4x Optical Zoom (25-100mm) F1.8-4.9 lens
- 9 Film Simulation Modes developed from over 80 years of photographic expertise and research.
- Control ring around lens allows for quick and intuitive adjustment of shooting settings.
- One-touch wireless image transfer and Instar printer printing. Battery life for still images Approx. 240 frames
Fujifilm XQ2 is a smart compact camera but entry level in the line of actual compact cameras but when talking in the context of point-and-shoots it is something made very passionately by the manufacturer targeting enthusiasts and professionals. Fujifilm XQ2 is a small, slim camera that fits in your hand very effectively and you can put in your pocket as it consumes a small space. Fujifilm XQ2 is equipped with f1.8-4.9 25-100mm lens providing you with beautiful images and smart autofocus allows you to automatically adjust the subject so that the picture captured should be bright, more precise and vibrant giving it all natural colors.
- Fujifilm XQ2 is an advance camera with wide aperture having the ability to produce beautiful clear images in low light and is installed with a wide aperture of f1.8.
- There is no significant improvement over its predecessor and video quality is not very good but still owes to other aesthetic features this is the best point and shoot camera.
Miniaturization of cameras to transform them into pocket cameras was never been so easy and is now considered as an evolutionary path towards the making of modern low-end, fully equipped with technology and best digital point and shoot cameras. Along with this, there are also water proof cameras available in the market.