Best Canon Lenses for Wildlife Photography. Searching for the best lenses for wildlife photography with your Canon cameras? Here are the top recommended Canon wildlife lenses.
For wildlife photography, two factors are paramount: reach and speed. A lens that gets up close yet allows you to keep your distance, and lenses that focus quickly and transmit enough light to allow for very fast shutter speeds. So you need your lens to be fast and long. As you know, the cost of going beyond 400mm (with good image quality) is high, but a longer-than-400mm lens is usually desired for wildlife photography. So, in wildlife photography, it is important to invest in nice lenses, especially with telephoto. Lenses hold their value extremely well.
In addition, the lens performance in low light conditions, cold weather (weather-sealed) are also very important for wildlife photography.
I try to include both Ultimate Canon Wildlife Lenses (high end) and affordable / smaller Canon wildlife lenses (the most bang for your buck) at a variety of focal lengths. The Ultimate Canon Wildlife Lenses are the best of the best. If you are a professional shooter, or you really care about the image quality of your wildlife photos, these lenses will meet your needs. If you are full of enthusiasm, but can not afford the cost, you can choose the affordable Canon wildlife lenses with great image quality.
See all my friendly recommendations below.
The Ultimate Canon Wildlife Lenses (High End)
1. Canon EF 600mm f/4L is III USM Lens
- Revised Optics for a lighter Super telephoto EF L Lens
- Continues strong tradition of image quality associated with L-Series lenses
- Super spectra coating (ssc) and Air sphere coating (asc) minimizes ghosting and flare
2. Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM Lens
- The Canon EF800mm f/5.6L IS USM, which is a L (Luxury) series lens incorporating a high-performance Image Stabilizer
- Feature optical systems utilizing special optical materials such as fluorite
3. Canon EF 500mm f/4L IS II USM Lens
- EF Mount; telephoto lens
- Ultra-low Dispersion glass with Fluorite elements; inner focusing ring; full-time manual focus; image stabilizer
- Micro UltraSonic Motor (USM)
- 500mm Focal length
- f/4 Maximum aperture
4. Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x
- High performance L-series super-telephoto zoom with built-in 1.4x extender (280-560mm, f/5.6) makes it ideal for sports and wildlife photography
- One fluorite and four UD lens elements provide excellent correction of chromatic aberration throughout the entire zoom range, delivering high-quality images with high resolution and contrast
5. Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens
- Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM II Super Telephoto Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras
6. Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens
- Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM II Super Telephoto Lens for Canon EOS SLR Cameras
- Max. Diameter x Length, Weight:5.0 x 9.8 inches, 82.9 oz
7. Canon Extender EF 1.4X III
- Focal Length & Maximum Aperture Magnification: 1.4x
- Lens Construction of 7 elements in 3 groups
- Max. Diameter x Length - 2.8" x 1.1" (72.0mm x 27.2mm)
- Weight - 7.9 oz (225g)
8. Canon Extender EF 2X III
- Compatible with Select EF Mount Lenses. Note: This lens is only compatible with fixed focal length L-series lenses 135mm and over, as well as the EF 70-200/2.8L, EF 70-200/2.8L IS, EF 70-200/4L, and EF 100-400/4.5-5.6L
Affordable (Smaller) Canon Wildlife Lenses
9. Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM Lens
- Compact, high performance L-series super-telephoto zoom makes it ideal for sports and wildlife photography
- Rotation-type zoom ring allows for more precise composition and excellent balance when handholding
10. Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Lens
- Impressive focal range.Diagonal Angle of View 34° - 8° 15'
- Travel friendly size, packs small and stays small with a manual lock switch on side of barrel. Note: lens can only be locked at 70mm range as it is for travel only. Focal Length & Maximum Aperture: 70-300mm 1:4-5.6
11. Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Lens
- Lens construction: 7 elements in 6 groups.Focus Adjustment: Inner focusing system with USM
- Diagonal Angle of View: 6° 10' .Fluorite and Ultra-low Dispersion-glass; internal focusing; full-time manual focus
12. Canon EF 300mm f/4L IS USM Lens
- Focal Length & Maximum Aperture:300mm 1:4.0
- Super multi-layer lens coating reduces flare and ghosting
- Compact L-series telephoto lens with an Image Stabilizer which compensates for camera shake with the equivalent effect of a shutter speed two stops faster
13. Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens
- EF Mount L-Series Lens Aperture Range: f/2.8-32
- Fluorite & Ultra-Low Dispersion Elements Two Mode Optical Image Stabilization
- Ultrasonic Focus Motor Super Spectra Multi Coating
- Manual Focus Override Minimum Focus Distance: 3.9'
14. Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Lens
- 70-200mm telephoto zoom lens with f/4 maximum aperture for Canon digital SLR cameras
- Fluorite UD lens elements produce excellent optical performance in resolution and contrast, Closest focusing distance : 3.94 feet, Focal length: 70-200mm
15. Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L USM Lens
- Focal length and maximum aperture: 70-200mm 1:4.0
- Lens construction: 16 elements in 13 groups
- Diagonal angle of view: 34 Degree - 12 Degree
- Inner focusing system with USM focus adjustment. Closest focusing distance: 1.2m / 3.9 ft.